Memory Access Violation in level 16 Council Meeting

Discuss bugs or technical issues relating to TU1 only.
KimikoMuffin

Memory Access Violation in level 16 Council Meeting

Postby KimikoMuffin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:30 pm

Hi, I'm on Windows 7 x64 with an ATI Radeon 5860, and I keep getting a Memory Access Violation crash in level 16, "Council Meeting," right after I start walking down the hallway when I reach the top of the second elevator.

I've tried all the usual solutions, and other experiments: changing the permissions and compatibility-settings (currently set to Windows XP SP2 and running as admin; turning off compatibility mode now causes it to crash on startup), deleting the settings files, turning Safe Mode on and off, toggling all the graphics settings, I even tried restarting from the previous level to see if that would do anything ... basically, I everything short of reinstalling it on my actual Windows XP laptop, to no effect.

3dmode_check.exe works fine, and shows no anomalies. I'm really at a loss to figure out what's going on here.
ADMIN
Site Admin

Re: Memory Access Violation in level 16 Council Meeting

Postby ADMIN » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:47 pm

KM

Sorry to hear the game's giving you issues here - it's not a bug I've had reported elsewhere (at least, not yet).

Couple of questions, are you running a Steam copy or from another outlet? And what version number is reported on the main menu?

In the meantime, a workaround is to hit the tilde key and type 'warp 17' and hit enter. This should take you to the next level.

Thanks
Madjack
Dialogue Design
'I only have one rule. Everyone codes, no-one quits. You don't finish your game, I'll shoot you myself.' http://www.tankuniversal.com
KimikoMuffin

Postby KimikoMuffin » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:07 pm

Ah, sorry -- I got it from GamersGate. And the main menu reports that it is version 1.26 ...

Is there anything that's supposed to happen or get triggered when you enter the hallway?

EDIT: I tried reinstalling from scratch, and the crash does not happen in 1.249.

As an unrelated aside, it seems that when I go up in rank, it only says "+5 Upgrade Points" on the post-level summary even when I go up multiple ranks. I'm not sure whether it's just displaying wrong or actually giving me only 5 upgrade-points, but either way this doesn't seem like Expected Behavior ... (EDITEDIT: it actually gives me the full amount, it's just that it only says "+5")
NovHak

Postby NovHak » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:35 am

Thanks Madjack from having removed me from the "Newly registered users" group, and hi to all forum readers and contributors !

I have the exact same problem as KimikoMuffin, things were going well until level 16, a few centimeters after reaching the top of the second elevator... and I have the GamersGate package too.

As of now, I've seen no workaround, except probably warping to the next level, which would mean working around part of the game too, or downgrading (since it worked for the OP) but I don't like the idea of reviving old bugs.

It seems that very few people have this problem, so this, added to the fact I have an Nvidia and the OP has an ATI, and both of us come from Gamersgate, make me think of a problem related to the Gamersgate distribution, maybe their version of the 1.26 patch ? Maybe that's because the patch isn't really cumulative and not installing intermediary patches between the unpatched distro and 1.26 yield to missing parts or inconsistencies ? Just a try, could this come from the PhysX DLLs : NxCooking.dll, PhysXCooking.dll and PhysXCore.dll, whose version is 2.7.0.3 for me, but should be something else ?

Also, for what it's worth, I have Vista 32 Ultimate, my GPU is an Nvidia 8800M GTX.

Thanks for your help !
Admiral Z

Postby Admiral Z » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:51 am

I have the same problem, but it happens at the end of the Megaron Tank level. Very annoying, and the warp command doesn't work 70% of the time. :( :(
Admiral Z has spoken. So let it be written, So let it be done.
NovHak

Postby NovHak » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:39 am

Your case is worst in one respect, since it's at the end of the level, and it takes time to beat the tank so testing different configurations is more painful. Does it seem to happen always when you reach the same point ? What's your OS ? Did you get the game from Gamersgate too ? What's your GPU ? Do you have the PhysX system software installed (appears in the list of installed programs) ? Btw I have the PhysX system software v9.12.0213 installed, didn't try to remove it yet...
Phantaminium

Postby Phantaminium » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:21 pm

I'm gonna assume this game was developed on Windows Vista, because one time I ran this game on a very crap vista computer. I know it was crap because I looked at it's specs.

I'm a ScatmanImage
Admiral Z

Postby Admiral Z » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:23 am

Yes, it is always when it is loading the level after the megaron tank level, when it reaches the stage "Loading Entities". Windows Vista 32 Bit Service pack 2. No, I got it from WildTangent. (http://www.wildtangent.com/Games/tank-universal) Intel GMA X3100 Integrated Graphics. (It stinks I know, but then again the whole computer stinks. :( ) No, i don't have PhyX.

I would really appreciate it if MadJack could look at this and try to help us out, because, like i stated in the New Glitches thread, it inhibits my ability to play TU!
NovHak

Postby NovHak » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Ah, so I would say it's rather during the start of the level following the one from of tank (level 13, "wastering"), so at least you can warp there. Did you try warping (press the tilde key, the one below the escape key, and type "warp 13" (without the quotes), then enter)? As for the Wildtangent package, maybe it's very similar to Gamersgate's. Is your version of the game 1.26 too ?

As for your GPU, you're right that stinks ! I remember some years ago, I tried to play a game (was Silent Hunter III) on a computer with Intel integrated graphics, I managed to run it eventually, there were no problems underwater, but it was catastrophic on surface (FPS drops).
Admiral Z

Postby Admiral Z » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:58 am

Yes, but it almost never works. I have only done it once, and that was to level 20. I believe it is, i will check. Yeah, i know, thats why every penny i get goes into my "new computer" fund. when I play Star Trek Online, I only get 5 FPS average, with the graphic settings totally stripped!!! :evil: :evil: Lag for me is 0 FPS... It runs TU very well though!

Return to “Technical issues and bugs”