Satoru Iwata, president of Nintendo, passed away

Discuss issues what's hot in gaming and game development, including computer hardware.
NeatNit

Satoru Iwata, president of Nintendo, passed away

Postby NeatNit » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:59 pm

I'm really not great with words so I can't really express how saddened I am by this. Iwata has led the company magnificently, and my favorite thing is how open he's made their processes. Iwata Asks was a series where Iwata interviews the developers of certain games, and they often detail very interesting facts and tidbits about the stages of development of their game. The kind of stuff that you would never see other triple-A developers detailing. Nintendo Direct was often hosted by Iwata, and as the name implies, it always had direct info about upcoming games. While showing gameplay of the game, they would explain different aspects of the game and how it plays out, going into great detail. I would sometimes come to the realization that a game I had my eyes on actually had gameplay that didn't interest me at all. And other times, of course, there were games that I hadn't heard about, or that I'd dismissed, which ended up interesting me a great deal. Compare this with Fallout 3 being marketed as if it were a first person shooter, when in reality it was a role-playing game. I almost bought FO3 because I thought it was an FPS. There are countless other examples.

I don't know if Nintendo will continue in the same direction. I don't know who can take Iwata's place. I don't know all that Iwata has done for gaming as a whole and Nintendo specifically, and I don't know how much he had planned to give in the future.

R.I.P. Satoru Iwata.

Return to “Gaming and gaming related”