Total War:Rome 2

Discuss issues what's hot in gaming and game development, including computer hardware.
ADMIN
Site Admin

Total War:Rome 2

Postby ADMIN » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:48 am

Anyone else get suckered into buying this on pre-order? And I do mean suckered.

So disappointed.

They've nerfed the battles, the AI is often quite broken, removed community favourite features in an effort to 'streamline' and the rumour is it's all in prep for porting to console.
'I only have one rule. Everyone codes, no-one quits. You don't finish your game, I'll shoot you myself.' http://www.tankuniversal.com
Scribble[SFD]

Re: Total War:Rome 2

Postby Scribble[SFD] » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:52 am

Yeah, I haven't played it, but I hear a lot of complaints about it.

Not too surprising to me though since its the direction Total War series has been going for awhile now.

Although, the original Rome TW game was one of the highlights of my gaming career.
Phantaminium

Postby Phantaminium » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:41 am

It seems developer have gotten lazy for some reason... Might it be the promise of a "Patch"?

Game developers should really make a game like their making a game for the PS2 or something.

WHERE THEY COULDN'T FIX ANYTHING AFTER LAUNCH

I'm a ScatmanImage
ADMIN
Site Admin

Postby ADMIN » Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:46 am

I suspect two things have happened here;

1; Sega wants a bit of that juicy Xbox1 and PS4 action, particularly now that the PS4 is closer to a PC in architecture.

But they're being canny - just have a few people make offhand comments in the media about how it'd be 'nice to have Total War on console, get the experience to people who aren't necessarily PC gamers.' And they won't announce any definite plans this iteration. Particularly after the bitch slapping the community's been giving them.

On the other hand they commanded CA to start stripping or simplifying features deemed not attractive to console players during R2's dev. Hence the clunky, convoluted interface more suited to navigation by gamepad and oversize unit cards. Hence the removal of things like family trees and dumbing down of tech and building trees.

Wouldn't be surprised if features would go upstairs to a management committee who would then send down an executive decision. Wouldn't be surprised if it was never made implicit to CA what was happening but it was common knowledge in the CA team.

However all this re-shuffling exacerbated the need for extra balancing/testing but Sega had a release date and

so;

2; Sega told CA to get the game out the door before it was polished and balanced because profit, obviously.

With the result that they've damaged the brand considerably. Every serious TW player is unlikely now to pre-order next time for example. I certainly won't.
'I only have one rule. Everyone codes, no-one quits. You don't finish your game, I'll shoot you myself.' http://www.tankuniversal.com
Phantaminium

Postby Phantaminium » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:35 pm

I guess something similar happened to Payday 2 buyers. You can definitely tell the game is unfinished (despite what OVERKILL says) because a special unit was cut from the game so that they can make the date. It'll be added eventually but the game isn't the same without the Cloaker (somewhat easy to go down cop unit that can 1 hit you in bleed out).

But even though I would normally be sickened by an act like this, OVERKILL themselves are actually a small dev team of about maybe 50(that number popped up somewhere) and with only 1 game out prior to PAYDAY 2, that being Payday: The Heist.

I'm a ScatmanImage
Scribble[SFD]

Postby Scribble[SFD] » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:02 am

Phantaminium wrote:But even though I would normally be sickened by an act like this, OVERKILL themselves are actually a small dev team of about maybe 50(that number popped up somewhere) and with only 1 game out prior to PAYDAY 2, that being Payday: The Heist.

I have learned by now that indie devs are not immune to acting like big dev/pubs. The pursuit of profits can easily be undertaken by a single dev or small group just the same as a big corp. Magicka comes to mind for this, and I really regret supporting them at launch. The game was in dev for over 2 years and still was released as one of the most buggy messes I have ever seen in a release. Fine, whatever, small indie dev right? Well, soon after their release they announced they were soon going to release an expansion campaign DLC (not free) while the game was STILL terribly broken.

Since that time I have been much more careful about supporting indie devs.

I am thankful that it is very clear that madjack is nothing like that and a true, genuine indie that loves good games, old-school style, and loves making games for the sake of making them (and NOT for the sake of making money off them).

The way video games making should always be done.

Going back to Payday. I haven't played Payday 2 because I thought Payday 1 was a horrible game. It literally is L4D with cops skins over the zombies. The pacing of the game is horrible since you are literally killing at least one cop every 5 seconds with the change in pace coming with assault waves where you kill 1 cop every 1 second.
Not only does this break any feeling of immersion due to real cops not acting like this (or even having so many resources) but the pacing is so blinding that I literally did not have any clue what the objectives I was doing because I was too busy killing cops every half second. I only had time to follow objective arrows while shooting another 100 cops to get to it. Not even action movies have so many cops coming at the bad guys.
For zombie games and demon horde games it different and expected, but just doesn't work for a cops and robbers game.

My feeling is that overkill is more interested in reaching a wider audience and going with the lowest common denominator rather than make a quality game. This of course is the CoD MP crowd that is used to the ADHD gaming style of having something in front of your cross-hairs every second or it isn't "fun" or "action-packed" enough.

I know that old-school gamers have been complaining about modern game design for a long time, but I feel that it has reached a NEW level of bad in the last a few years, modern MMORPGs being particularly all bad and the same with no one making old-school style anymore.

Anyways, I'm going to cut this rant short, and just say that I am glad there are still a few people out their like madjack that aren't afraid to make a truly enjoyable game even if it may not appeal to every single gamer in the entire market.

This is the reason that this is the only dev board that I go to out of all the games I own or have played. I love TU1 and looking forward to TU2 because its old-school gaming and a genuinely good dev that is making it.
ADMIN
Site Admin

Postby ADMIN » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:55 am

Thanks Scrib!

Return to “Gaming and gaming related”