Defining display features from game start:

Discussion relating to the beta test of TU1 (private users only).
_33

Defining display features from game start:

Postby _33 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:38 pm

- Truely annoyed by this small unfriendly pannel:

AA: most people won't understand what it stands for
WBUF: Even less people will figure that one out, even myself
DITHER: It should be automatic that if you run the game in 16BIT mode, that dithering should be activated, but asking for this to me sounds pointless
WHRX(?): I don'tget the other feature... I spelled it wrong! What is it?

RESOLUTIONS: I suggest to give more choices
- 640 x 480 (should be in there)
- 800 x 600
- 1024 x 768
- 1184 x 876 (alternative to 1024 x 768, just a little higher resolution, I use that also, example: DOOM 3)
- 1280 x 1024 ( I hate 5:4 resolutions, but ok, it works for the LCDs)
- 1360 x 1024 (most games I use this resolution)
- 1600 x 1200 (this game would play fine in this resolution on my rig, why not exploit it? It would help me get precise shots when I shoot far, enhance the graphics also)

Now, I found out where to change the GLOW effect, and DETAILED SKY. I tought it was set in the appropriate place. But, from a game install point of view, the game should suggest if the player wants : LOW graphics, MEDIUM graphics, or HIGH graphics. And focus on making the game work with people that only have say, 32MB GDDR, 64MB GDDR and so on. I'll try to find (when I have time) which setting to use and what GDDR is used. But I can't pass the whole game yet, too god forbid difficult in places. Is the EASY Mode really easier?

If you need a LOADER, or a tool to setup graphics, ask me, but I really do not understand why stick to this *THING* asking for display options every game boot up. It is unfriendly, and definately not helping getting the screen setup through. It's got visual, but no practicality (to me).

Cheers,

Jacques
ADMIN
Site Admin

Re: Defining display features from game start:

Postby ADMIN » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:54 am

Truely annoyed by this small unfriendly pannel:

It's a launcher I grabbed from the Blitz code archives a few years ago now. It was useful at the time, but somewhat archaic now with its buttons for wbuffering, hardware texturing etc. As you point out, the average user will have no idea what a lot of them mean.

As blitz has issues with changing graphics res within a programme, I'm still leaning towards having the user set the graphics res before running the main programme. However, the initial settings panel needs to remember what the user set as default the last time, and be presented with a simpler set of options.

In terms of offering low/medium/high - not too sure about this. The fact is the programme doesn't have a lot of graphics settings to tweak and for what's being shown on screen, the blitz engine is not the quickest. I'd rather a new user starts with the default settings (1024x768, complex sky on, glow off) as I know personnaly when offered low/medium/high I'm always tempted to hit 'high' regardless of my computer specs.

And focus on making the game work with people that only have say, 32MB GDDR, 64MB GDDR and so on.

I have used some DDS textures - mostly for lightmaps. However I think it still tops out a little over 64mb on occasion. Will look at vidmem issues again.

Thanks for the feedback. Hope you have progressed past the minefields (level9)?
'I only have one rule. Everyone codes, no-one quits. You don't finish your game, I'll shoot you myself.' http://www.tankuniversal.com
_33

Postby _33 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:15 pm

I don't want to sound as if I'm trying to force you in a path, but I am positive that game reviewers will find that game setting pannel in front archaicas you pointed). Enough, IMHO to bring the game down, as it will give a bad impression from the get-go. You know, like an interview, the five first minutes count the most.
_33

Postby _33 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:57 pm

OK I want a little ahead with testing. Checked it out from scratch. Now I'm wondering if you completely removed Antialiasing, or if it's always activated. It seems to be always ON. I'm thinking about the smaller configurations (Nvidia 6200, 7300, or ATI 9200, X1300). Those smaller configs won't be happy with Antialias ON. I'd suggest to have an advanced tweak option or something so we can set these options. All of the options that Blitz3D offer should still be accessible, but not from a game start. That's all I meant. Removing access to these IMHO won't help people like me who want to have total access to how the game is rendered. I see you don't give more screen resolutions, that is your choice I suppose.

You might argue that these aren't important for the game experience, but considering this is a DX7 game, I think some elements should be taken consideration, like the smmaller configs. Simply. And for the peopel like me who own bigger GFX cards, they always like the top end setups, which this game currently lacks (1600x1200, or 1360x1024). I won't ask fro a 16x9 setup :P

Cheers,

Jacques
ADMIN
Site Admin

Postby ADMIN » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:47 pm

Hi Jacques

I'm still thinking about the launcher options - I've removed some of the more obtuse buttons, (e.g. hmtx), but I need to probably re-institute AA. Having said that, I have read that blitz's AA command isn't reliable for some graphics cards. Still, probably better to retain it and if it doesn't work, people can turn it on/off from their display properties options (windows).

And as you point out, need to add more resolutions (one of the demo testers also wanted a widescreen option, but testing that could be tricky. I wonder if blitz can accept command line options?)
'I only have one rule. Everyone codes, no-one quits. You don't finish your game, I'll shoot you myself.' http://www.tankuniversal.com
ADMIN
Site Admin

Postby ADMIN » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:49 pm

By the way, have released beta keys to Indiepath and Shambler (from the blitz forums), so I hope they have some input as well sometime soon. :)
_33

Postby _33 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:51 pm

In fact you can get command line options with Blitz3D. It will work no problem with

Code: Select all

CommandLine$()
ADMIN
Site Admin

Postby ADMIN » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:01 pm

Ah! I didn't know that - could use that to allow the user to set extra screen modes... :)

Return to “Beta testing (closed)”