Level 9 - SUPPLY BASE

Discussion relating to the beta test of TU1 (private users only).
_33

Level 9 - SUPPLY BASE

Postby _33 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:27 pm

Hmm - there's a section in this level (maze + big green bullies) which might be a bit tricky in that you have to get through minefields while a forcefield's approaching from behind. Let me know how you go on this bit - might need to tone it down a bit.

I'm sorry if I don't necessarely have the right words to explain the in-game things, as this game is relatively detailed and I might not catch on fast on the terms and proper location explanation. This the same with the enemy name, which I had a hard time to remember. Even now, I'm thinking maybe I have it wrong: "Gorgon"?

Now, since I'm in one of his camps, where there is a depot, and then this huge path with various mines spread around the scene in the bottom, and this big scanning thing that zaps me if I stand still. No, definately this is not easy. And what is more frustrating, is that when I leave the game, and come back the next day, to my surprise, I start back at the depot and have to face all those tanks and big green monsters... depressing. How come when I die, I start at the top of the cliff and can happily get thrown in the air by the minefield. And, when I restart the game, I *HAVE* to redo the depot before continuing... This is not fair at all.

=================================================
Also, how did you find the Tank Factory level where you have to trip all the red switches, the FCP comes after you and you have to cross the bridge and wait for the exit door to open? Did you need to make a number of retries? If so, how many?

Now you askmed me impressions about the TANK Facility #3, hmmm... It's well balance. I noticed some bugs thoe. If you succeed with the switches, and the boss jumps at you, and you hide on the left, then he won't get me but he's gonna go after our tall friend! And the game can't be continued unless I reload the level. It wasn't easy for me to find the "throw the switch" thingy. Can't there be a more explicit way to explain where that switch is? Even thoe it "should be obvious"...

Cheers,

Jacques
Last edited by _33 on Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
ADMIN
Site Admin

Re: minefield in level 9 (autosave 9, if you will)

Postby ADMIN » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:51 pm

Even now, I'm thinking maybe I have it wrong: "Gorgon"?

It is Gorgon - don't worry, I'm picking up where/what you're meaning so far. :lol:

How come when I die, ..., I *HAVE* to redo the depot before continuing... This is not fair at all.

Unfortunately when I first started programming this game, I didn't think through what would be required for a save anywhere system, hence it saves at the beginning of each level, but not during. I could probably go for a checkpoint system, but at this time, I'm not planning to - could introduce as many bugs as problems it solves. :| Sorry about that.

As for getting through the minefields, I think I'll slow down the forcefield bar to about half its speed. I have set it so that if you die above the 'cliff' , you get reset with your powershards restored.

Have you gotten past this level?
If you find it too difficult, you can bring down a console (tilde key) and type 'god' to go invulnerable. You'll still need to use smokebombs on the mines to avoid being thrown into the air, but the turrets won't hurt you. Remember to turn off god mode (tilde, 'god') afterwards.

and you hide on the left, then he won't get me but he's gonna go after our tall friend!

I'll check that out - can't have that.

It wasn't easy for me to find the "throw the switch" thingy. Can't there be a more explicit way to explain where that switch is? Even thoe it "should be obvious

I agree it's probably not very clear the first time - it is plotted on the radar and I've added an arrow texture to a nearby wall. I would expect the player to probably not get things right the first time though. How many tries did it take you?
'I only have one rule. Everyone codes, no-one quits. You don't finish your game, I'll shoot you myself.' http://www.tankuniversal.com
_33

Postby _33 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:23 pm

Using God mode, I have passed the minefield. Now I realize that the scanning going on in the back is really fast! I can't possibly imagine passing through all this at that speed! And also, figuring out how to use the smoke bombs... It basically means; "kill enough tanks to get enough power shards so I can use the needed smoke bombs"... Anyhow, I'm trying to get to know the goals. But this is really an obligatory path, and is really IMHO too tricky for most people to figrue out. Hopefully in easy mode, you've removed this tricky situation, otheriwse it can't be qualified as easy. Maybe less mines, and an even slower scanner (or plain non existant scanner (?). Because, remember, there are about 4 cannons shooting at the poor dude while all this is happening... Don't you have pitty? :(

Anyhow, I've use my wildcard (the God mode), and passed this misery. Then went down the road and inside the satelliet dish (cut with the scene that shows several thousand soldiers). To my surprize, I've pressed the button, and crashed pittyfully with a MAV (in God mode)!!!

Jacques
ADMIN
Site Admin

Postby ADMIN » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:44 pm

Don't you have pitty?

Aye -I've thought about this section and have decided the following;
-halve the scanner speed
-remove 2 of the turrets - particularly the one at the top of the small path leading to safety. Must admit that was a nasty trick.
-have a message pop up at the start of the run pointing out that;
'Smokebombs required. Find upgrade port to install' ; if the player hasn't used the upgrade port in the level.
or,
'Use smokebombs to disable mines F5'
So it's clear what the player has to do.

(or plain non existant scanner for easy mode (?).

That's a good suggestion - I'll look at implementing that.

and crashed pittyfully with a MAV (in God mode)!!!

Bugger.
If you will, could you email your profile SAV file (from your SAVE directory) to me, and I'll update it to take you to the next level (don't think I can ask you to replay the level to see if it crashes again!). And I'll also check out this crash. Sorry about that.
'I only have one rule. Everyone codes, no-one quits. You don't finish your game, I'll shoot you myself.' http://www.tankuniversal.com
ADMIN
Site Admin

Postby ADMIN » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:57 pm

I'll also update the executable to include a 'warp XX' command when in console mode.
_33

Postby _33 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:02 pm

But I'm sure that in HARD mode, the *ORIGINAL* recipe will be appreciated by those hardcore players.

Also, the modifications applied in regular playmode will be highly praised. Because, considering that cannons are shooting at you, that there is this scanner /anihilator (fatal), that there are tens of mines laying there... You have to be wondering about that certain evil grin on the level designer!

Oh, and, if I may suggest, you can still place turrets, but around the dish (?), because, I found it quite ridiculous that the dish isn't protected at all. Absolutely nothing around, no threats, but previously, we had all these things assaulting the player. I specifically want you to avoid the comment of having wrongly balanced difficulty in your maps. It's not just an impression. But I know you're looking at giving a certain ambience.
ADMIN
Site Admin

Postby ADMIN » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:25 pm

Oh, and, if I may suggest, you can still place turrets, but around the dish (?), because, I found it quite ridiculous that the dish isn't protected at all.

Hmm - my thinking there was that the player has already passed through the dish's defences in dealing with the minefields/turrets and the initial maze with the heavy tanks and behemoths.

Also, I think placing turret/s in that section could interfere with the soldiers marching cutscene?

I designed that part of the level with the idea that the player suddenly comes into this wide open area (with the dish towering above), and the player can take it in at their leisure (without being shot at).
_33

Postby _33 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:42 pm

I designed that part of the level with the idea that the player suddenly comes into this wide open area (with the dish towering above), and the player can take it in at their leisure (without being shot at).

Like a sweet revenge. Why not! I have nothing against that at all. It's probably better like you envision it. I'll have to replay the whole game in order to grasp at the full deal of what it all means. I believe this will be the typs of game that you have to play at least 2 times to fully understand the story.

Cheers.
ADMIN
Site Admin

Postby ADMIN » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:48 pm

Cool.

I'll have to replay the whole game in order to grasp at the full deal of what it all means.

Jacques - I should tell you now, so you don't get too upset by the end. This game is part one of a two part story. There's a good ending to this game, but the story won't be all tied up and you will see a 'to be continued message'. I intend to make that quite clear on the website.

But don't let that deter you, there's some stuff ahead that I think you'll enjoy (including a little sheep riding :D ).

By the way, I'm at work - have you emailed your profile file?
_33

Postby _33 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:55 pm

How about a turret in the radar?

:P

Return to “Beta testing (closed)”