TU BETA 1 experience so far

Discussion relating to the beta test of TU1 (private users only).
_33

TU BETA 1 experience so far

Postby _33 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:16 pm

How do I take a screen snapshot? I wish to show you the visual things that I found which are erroneous.

In terms of FPS in person mode, I found it poor: I couldn't RUN, couldn't JUMP, couldn't CROUCH, sidestepping was too SLOW compared to walking. I went in the options, and there are absolutely no control options other than the tank controls. That was very annoying. I felt there was a great mystery in there.

There doesn't seem to be any 3rd person view. Is that the intent for the end product?

- 2 spelling mistakes so far:
* "sacrafice" should be "sacrifice"
* "but I think it better that you evacuate", should read "but I think it's better that you evacuate"
- The dialog bubbles are weird on my machine, they show the bubble with a bizarre fling on the top left over the bubble.
- At the dialog "Gordon [Garon] will prevail" in the beginning, I noticed a structure near the 2 chaps, I walk beside it on the left, and it became invisible!
- In the same area as previous, when looking at beam structures on the left of the passage, where the red and green crosses on the right of the beam, it flashes and it's confused between red and green.
- For GDDR usage, the first time it tipped above 64MB was when I first saw a tank. Resolution was 1024x768. After that it topped at 74MB. I had Antialias mode on, but no blur.
- Before the funky speed I call "I salute you challengers", there is the spot on the floor I have to stand on. OK? I go there and stand on that spot. But then I have no clue why I'm waiting there, and it's getting rather long before something happens. Maybe a camera trick could help the situation? I'm not sure how to interpret that wait as I am stuck there...
- After the "I salute you challengers", I'm still stuck as everyone is running towards tanks and I'm just stuck there. Extremely frustrating!!! Only when everyone has their tanks that I can *MOVE* !!! This is an incredible supplice to have to suffer this ridiculous passage, and it surely doesn't enhance the experience in any way.
- After removing the tracking device, the screen flips to another scene, in a room. I walked around, and went down a ramp from the bed / nursing room. In the middle part of the ramp, then wall in that corner is pitch black. If I go beside it and look on the side, it shows it's normal color. Only this wall does that.
- Every time we see that little white circle on the floor, I suggest to animate it, and make it more "virtual", maybe alpha'd at 0.75 or something and floating, as if you wanted to grab it. Because, the first time I wasn't too sure what it was. Shocking? Well, I'm not THAT dumb!
- The the same scene as the bedroom/ramp scene (don't have a proper name for this, maybe "inside the camp"), anyhow, when going to the tables, with the 3 guys hanging around there, I go to see the outside by the window. When I turn around I see all black! Then I noticed it was a bad polygon or something because I moved a bit and it disapeared to reveal the room and the 3 guys.
- I noticed in training, some of the blue smoke comes in from of the red smoke, at the base of where the somes is comming from, even thoe the blue smokes comes from 20 meters behind the red.
- When I exit training, I end up in a room where the floor is pitch blue! Is that the normal color, or there is a missing texture in the map?
- I've noticed in the main menu, when I select options, that the menu music stopped!
- When ingame, I went to the options menu to change some display settings, but the options didn't get changed.

Cheers. Neat experience so far!
ADMIN
Site Admin

Re: TU BETA 1 experience so far

Postby ADMIN » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:25 am

Hey Jacques - thanks for taking the time to try the beta

'How do I take a screen snapshot? I wish to show you the visual things that I found which are erroneous.'
Your printscreen button should do the trick. Then paste into an email or paste into a photo editing prog and save to disk.

'In terms of FPS in person mode, I found it poor: I couldn't RUN, couldn't JUMP, couldn't CROUCH'
True - but the FPS is not designed to be extensive - there's no combat and no need to jump or crouch, the FPS controls are just about walking from one spot to the next. Most of the game is tank based. I mean I can put in a jump function but it wouldn't do anything practical. Or do you think I should inc the walk speed though?

'There doesn't seem to be any 3rd person view. Is that the intent for the end product?'
No 3rd person.

'* "sacrafice" should be "sacrifice"'
Spotting! Thanks - will correct.

'* "but I think it better that you evacuate", should read "but I think it's better that you evacuate"'
Not sure about this - will check regarding the current sentence's grammar.

'The dialog bubbles are weird on my machine, they show the bubble with a bizarre fling on the top left over the bubble.'
There is a small picture of the message sender top left of the main message panel - is that what you mean? Or are you experiencing some corruption of the message panel?

'At the dialog "Gordon [Garon] will prevail" in the beginning, I noticed a structure near the 2 chaps, I walk beside it on the left, and it became invisible!'
Not entirely sure where this is happening - there are some clipping errors if you walk up hard against some polygon surfaces...

'In the same area as previous, when looking at beam structures on the left of the passage, where the red and green crosses on the right of the beam, it flashes and it's confused between red and green.'
Ok - there's a couple of overlapping polys and they're 'z-fighting'. It's a minor prob though.

'Before the funky speed I call "I salute you challengers", there is the spot on the floor I have to stand on. OK? I go there and stand on that spot. But then I have no clue why I'm waiting there, and it's getting rather long before something happens'
Well, if you look at the challengers lined up with you, they are looking up as Garon's ship moves overhead. However that's probably a fairly subtle thing - might add in an event cam to make it obvious that something's happening.

'"I salute you challengers", I'm still stuck as everyone is running towards tanks and I'm just stuck there. Extremely frustrating!!!'
Heh - thing is I need to control which tank the player enters and when. May look at this again though.

'In the middle part of the ramp, then wall in that corner is pitch black. If I go beside it and look on the side, it shows it's normal color. Only this wall does that.'
It's intended - spherical mapping flag is set.

'I go to see the outside by the window. When I turn around I see all black!'
Yep - known issue - bad polygon as you say.

'some of the blue smoke comes in from of the red smoke, at the base of where the somes is comming from, even thoe the blue smokes comes from 20 meters behind the red.'
This is a blitz3d/particlecandy issue with z-depth poly sorting. It's not something I can fix I believe.

'When I exit training, I end up in a room where the floor is pitch blue! Is that the normal color, or there is a missing texture in the map?'
No - It's meant to be that way.

'I've noticed in the main menu, when I select options, that the menu music stopped!'
That's intended - just feel the music is best suited for the main menu.

'When ingame, I went to the options menu to change some display settings, but the options didn't get changed.'
Hmm - do you mean the initial launcher dialog? That doesn't save settings - just uses 800x600, full screen as default.
However if you change options in-game with the options panel (such as display glow/complex sky) they should be saved to a cfg file.
'I only have one rule. Everyone codes, no-one quits. You don't finish your game, I'll shoot you myself.' http://www.tankuniversal.com
_33

Postby _33 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:08 pm

ADMIN wrote:Hey Jacques - thanks for taking the time to try the beta

'When ingame, I went to the options menu to change some display settings, but the options didn't get changed.'
Hmm - do you mean the initial launcher dialog? That doesn't save settings - just uses 800x600, full screen as default.
However if you change options in-game with the options panel (such as display glow/complex sky) they should be saved to a cfg file.

Thanks. Very good game so far. I've managed to go past the part where there is this big lighted train sort of structure passing by, and then got transported off the end and into this maze where there are the big green bullies :) Hah, there was up to now some good humour in the game. Specially the guys that stand on top of these long poles carried around who spot things (spotters)!!! Anyhow Got some good laughs.

Just as a note, when I mention ingame ("in-game"), I do mean while playing game, that I decided to change some options with the display. And it didn't change them, from what I recall. Not in the main menu, but from in-game, I pressed escape and selected options. Maybe I didn't describe enough. But also sometimes I type fast and write wrong words! Anyhow...

The other thing about the music stopping when going in the options, IMHO it is a mistake to cut the music, as the person who wants to adjust music playing level won't even hear his adjustments when he changes them.

But, I will have to go to bed soon, so I just posted this quick reply.

Cheers.

Jacques
ADMIN
Site Admin

Postby ADMIN » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:23 pm

'I've managed to go past the part where there is this big lighted train sort of structure passing by, and then got transported off the end and into this maze where there are the big green bullies'

Hmm - there's a section in this level (maze + big green bullies) which might be a bit tricky in that you have to get through minefields while a forcefield's approaching from behind. Let me know how you go on this bit - might need to tone it down a bit.

Also, how did you find the Tank Factory level where you have to trip all the red switches, the FCP comes after you and you have to cross the bridge and wait for the exit door to open? Did you need to make a number of retries? If so, how many?

that I decided to change some options with the display. And it didn't change them

Molebox problem - I had included a copy of the cfg in the packed files list and so the programme is trying to write to the packed file rather than create a new file on your harddrive.

IMHO it is a mistake to cut the music, as the person who wants to adjust music playing level won't even hear his adjustments when he changes them.

True - doesn't make sense to cut out the music if the player is looking to adjust the music volume.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game - keen to know how the rest of the game strikes you.

Phil
'I only have one rule. Everyone codes, no-one quits. You don't finish your game, I'll shoot you myself.' http://www.tankuniversal.com
_33

Postby _33 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:40 pm

Hmm - there's a section in this level (maze + big green bullies) which might be a bit tricky in that you have to get through minefields while a forcefield's approaching from behind. Let me know how you go on this bit - might need to tone it down a bit.

Also, how did you find the Tank Factory level where you have to trip all the red switches, the FCP comes after you and you have to cross the bridge and wait for the exit door to open? Did you need to make a number of retries? If so, how many?

Created another topic about this.

Cheers,

Jacques
zenith

Postby zenith » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:22 am

'some of the blue smoke comes in from of the red smoke, at the base of where the somes is comming from, even thoe the blue smokes comes from 20 meters behind the red.'
This is a blitz3d/particlecandy issue with z-depth poly sorting. It's not something I can fix I believe.

Haha, I reported this exact same bug to Mark Sibly when I was beta testing Blitz3d in the beginning, but it may actually be a DX7 'bug'. :)
I can't remember Mark's response..
ADMIN
Site Admin

Postby ADMIN » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:20 pm

Haha, I reported this exact same bug to Mark Sibly when I was beta testing Blitz3d in the beginning, but it may actually be a DX7 'bug'. :)

Yeah - I'm using ParticleCandy for the particle fx, so it's a single surface kind of issue. It's not a gamebreaker, so I'm not too concerned about it.

Return to “Beta testing (closed)”