Bug Report 1 :)

Discussion relating to the beta test of TU1 (private users only).
zenith

Bug Report 1 :)

Postby zenith » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:10 pm

Typo in intro with the guy before he starts playing. 'It's a virtual reality headset, George. I know its a bit odd, but it might take your mind of(<- off) matters'

Not very smooth movement down stairs/platforms when walking as human, also the strafing seems to accelerate you more than needed if you
sidestep and move forward. Sometimes when you talk and press space you miss something they say before hand, it happens due to timing -- if you don't press space in time the message goes on, but if you press it as the timer stops -- you miss the next message since you press space.

When you first get your tank and the 'unauthorized' guy starts talking, it plays the new message sound even when the message hasn't changed -- a few times, also the mini map isn't completely accurate with the walls.
Typo when you take the alternate path: 'Only one? Sadness, continue forwards(-s) ...' :)

After driving tank: Bug: "Meanwhile on board Telok's spaceship...", you press space and the "press space to continue" just stays there, even though the background message area doesn't -- might just have been my timing.

After the tracking device explodes and you're in the resistance tank reclaimation output, if you go to the table with the 3 guys and the window looking out on the tank, if you stand next to the window as close as you can and look back towards the table/guys, you can see a black polygon. Also, not nagging but the rooms seem a bit empty, I know this is a tank game, but might as well put quality into everything. (Unless you just started working in that area)

I like how the black windows shine blue depending on which angle you look at them :)
F#cking love the music and atmosphere.
The little power shards or pellets or whatever, are a lot more noticeable now -- I like them!

While on lifter in training mission, you can charge your weapon but not shoot, I'm sure you shouldn't be able to charge it. :)
Beat the training mission with no MAV errors -- yay! \o/

As I walk, is that my hand sticking up? Ah, it is -- seems to go through some walls later. EntityOrder? :)
Haha, running away from tanks as a man, I felt so insecure, hahaha.

In the tank, when looking for Telox -- I go down the corridor with the incline that goes downward and I got stuck on it once it reached level ground, it didn't smoothly rotate level ground from high ground. I think its because you can't go back up due to the block.

What the hell, this is annoying -- I get and take all those points that give me tanks, then the big motha chases me around -- I get through the door, and I can't go down the incline -- I'm stuck, then I move backwards -- go through the door mesh and die by the big duder, and have to restart all the way at the beginning... what gives?
ADMIN
Site Admin

Re: Bug Report 1 :)

Postby ADMIN » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:54 pm

Hey Zenith - thanks for logging on. :)

I know its a bit odd, but it might take your mind of(<- off) matters'

Spotting. Will correct.

Not very smooth movement down stairs/platforms when walking as human

True - the 'walk' code's fairly basic, but there's no on-foot combat so I feel it doesn't need to be too extensive.

'also the strafing seems to accelerate you more than needed if you sidestep and move forward'

Might look at tweaking/reducing the forward speed in relation to strafe speed (if I read you correctly?). I've recently bumped up strafe speed, so its become an issue.

'Sometimes when you talk and press space you miss something they say before hand, it happens due to timing'

Yes - it is a timing issue...

'it plays the new message sound even when the message hasn't changed -- a few times'

I probably need to split those messages up (in the script system) into individual events so they trigger only once..

also the mini map isn't completely accurate with the walls.

The radar doesn't display walls - that was probably Telox's big ship overhead being plotted on the radar.

''Only one? Sadness, continue forwards(-s) ...' '

Ok - delete the 's'

"Meanwhile on board Telok's spaceship...", you press space and the "press space to continue" just stays there, even though the background message area doesn't

Intentional - there's no text to accompany that shot, but still need to let the player they can advance by pressing space.

and look back towards the table/guys, you can see a black polygon

Heh - Jacques (_33) picked that up too - bad polygon.

I like how the black windows shine blue depending on which angle you look at them

A cheap trick - surface with spherical UV flag enabled.

F#cking love the music and atmosphere.

The music's licensed from Arteria. Was really lucky there - the music really fits the world I think, and it wasn't too expensive either.

The little power shards or pellets or whatever, are a lot more noticeable now -- I like them!

Good - they really need to grab the player's attention and say 'collect me!' :)

While on lifter in training mission, you can charge your weapon but not shoot,

Yes - need to stop that happening.

I'm stuck, then I move backwards -- go through the door mesh and die by the big duder, and have to restart all the way at the beginning... what gives?

That's no good. In a few places I've used a one sided, collision poly to keep the player from going back. I had reduced the poly size enough such that it seems to work on my test machines - but it seems there's still the possibility of the player getting stuck, so I'll review that. Did you manage to get past that spot? Did you get stuck again?
'I only have one rule. Everyone codes, no-one quits. You don't finish your game, I'll shoot you myself.' http://www.tankuniversal.com
_33

Postby _33 » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:42 am

if you don't press space in time the message goes on, but if you press it as the timer stops -- you miss the next message since you press space.

Sorry I forgot to mention too about this bug. It doesn't look as if the dialog timer is reset to zero when we press spacebar.
zenith

Postby zenith » Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:54 am

It was 4am by the time I sent all this report, I didn't have time to check if anyone else has these bugs already reported, sorry. I died at the big guy 3 times now haha. Atleast you don't have to destroy the towers over! Anyway, I'll beat it this time! :D
The problem I was having was, he tells you to run past the door, so the door opens, and right as I enter I get stuck on the ramp and can't move. lol
zenith

Postby zenith » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:30 am

Actually, I think the strafing speed is faster than the forward speed -- so if you move forward and right or left at the same time, you move pretty quickly diagonally, so I end up just walking diagonally to move faster. :D

Oh and the radar, I figured maybe it wasn't walls, haha cool.
Intentional - there's no text to accompany that shot, but still need to let the player they can advance by pressing space.

I dunno, it removes the background though, or is that the point?
ADMIN
Site Admin

Postby ADMIN » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:48 am

Zenith

It was 4am by the time I sent all this report,

Don't forget your beauty sleep! :)

he tells you to run past the door, so the door opens, and right as I enter I get stuck on the ramp and can't move. lol

I need to fix this. If this problem persists for you, email your profile (.SAV file from your SAVES folder) and I'll update it so you can start on the next level.

'you move pretty quickly diagonally, so I end up just walking diagonally to move faster.

Don't want that, so I'll reduce forwards speed by strafe speed.

I dunno, it removes the background though, or is that the point?

Guess it might look a little odd - perhaps if the 'press space to continue' message was moved up to sit flush rather than left 'hanging' when the message panel background isn't showing.
'I only have one rule. Everyone codes, no-one quits. You don't finish your game, I'll shoot you myself.' http://www.tankuniversal.com
zenith

Postby zenith » Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:30 am

Haha, beat level 6 perfectly that time -- I think the reason I was getting stuck was because I was using a Boost as I went -- and it was too much energy to translate into an angle or something (?) :)
Sad that right there was the end of the level.. feet away :D
ADMIN
Site Admin

Postby ADMIN » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:06 pm

Cool - but will need to fix this - can't have the player getting stuck just at this point! :D

Return to “Beta testing (closed)”