'Memory Access Violation' returns.

Discuss bugs or technical issues relating to TU1 only.
Kaeralyn

'Memory Access Violation' returns.

Postby Kaeralyn » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:47 pm

I have the Steam version of the game, and it worked fine for a while, but one day with no provocation it started crashing with this error message. It occurs within a few seconds of double-clicking the icon, with a small black window behind it. I've tried with and without the '-safe' switch, have updated pretty much every driver on my system, and have even tried reinstalling the game to no effect.

This is what appears in my event viewer log:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 18/11/2008
Time: 10:10:08
User: N/A
Computer: (hidden)
Description:
Faulting application tu.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module tu.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x000d8af3.

Curiously, every event lists exactly the same fault address.
System as follows:

CPU: AMD X2 5000+ AM2
RAM: 2GB Corsair XMS2 800
GFX: ATI HD2600XT
ADMIN
Site Admin

Re: 'Memory Access Violation' returns.

Postby ADMIN » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:48 am

Hi Kaeralyn

Couple of things to try.

First, locate the steamapps/tank universal dir and delete the cfg files (TU_SCR.CFG, TU.CFG) for a default config load. Possible a cfg file has become corrupt.

Also, if you launch from within the Steam window ('my games' tab), rather than the desktop icon, does it make any difference?

There's also a log file created each time the game is run (TU_LOG.TXT). Suggest locating this file (steamapps/tank universal), deleting it, then rerun the game and if you're still experiencing a crash, please post the log file contents.

Hope this helps - let me know how you get on.

Madjack
Dialogue Design
'I only have one rule. Everyone codes, no-one quits. You don't finish your game, I'll shoot you myself.' http://www.tankuniversal.com
Kaeralyn

Postby Kaeralyn » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:19 pm

Hi. Thanks for the response.

I tried running it from the normal desktop shortcut, the 'my games' tab, and finally a second direct shortcut to Tu.exe with the -safe switch. Neither of these yielded any result beyond the error appearing after a couple of seconds, just after a small black window in the middle of my screen.

As for the files, (the .cfgs and the log) I couldn't even -find- them at all. This is a totally fresh install of the game, after I deleted all local content within Steam, removed the old folder, then re-downloaded the game into a fresh folder. It seems it's not running long enough to generate those logs -or- the .cfgs.

This is all that pops up when I try to run the game, using -any- of the methods I described:
Attachments
tuerror.jpg
This rather lovely little error appears when I try to run TU.
tuerror.jpg (38.23 KiB) Viewed 10662 times
ADMIN
Site Admin

Postby ADMIN » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:37 pm

Kaeralyn

Thanks for trying those options.

A few questions;
Do you have a single or dual screen setup?
Do you have any tablet software installed?
Is your screen depth set at 32 or 16 bit depth (24 bit may cause probs)
Is there anything running in the background that's new (since the last time TU ran ok)?
What's your DirectX version?

Also, you might like to try following test programme - it's written in the same language as TU and will display the available resolutions, then exit.

http://madjack.fileburst.com/3dmode_check.exe

Thanks
Madjack
Dialogue Design
'I only have one rule. Everyone codes, no-one quits. You don't finish your game, I'll shoot you myself.' http://www.tankuniversal.com
Kaeralyn

Postby Kaeralyn » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:17 pm

Hi again.

The tester you provided gave the same results as trying to run the game:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 19/11/2008
Time: 06:19:59
User: N/A
Computer: (hidden)
Description:
Faulting application 3dmode_check.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module 3dmode_check.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x000d7e73.

My desktop resolution is set to 1680 x 1050, 32bit. (16:10 wide)
I just loaded up dxdiag, and my DirectX version is 9.0c.
Dual-screen is possible, but I don't have a second screen to hook up to it.
I do have tablet software installed, but that's been on there since I installed XP nearly a year ago. Finally, I don't believe anything has been installed in the background since TU last worked for me.

-----
EDIT: I tried another demo from the Blitz3D site, and that too produces the error. Something to do with the engine maybe?

Faulting application tecno (demo).exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module tecno (demo).exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x000d8643.

Curious how they all fault at the 0x000d offset.
ADMIN
Site Admin

Postby ADMIN » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:32 am

Kaeralyn

Browsing the Blitz3d forums, it appears that Blitz3d may be clashing with tablet components.

A possible fix:
Find TU.exe in the steamapps/tank universal dir.
Right mouse click to view the TU.exe properties.
Select the Compatibility tab.
Under input settings, enable the 'Turn off advanced text services for this program' check box.
Rerun the game.

Thanks for your interest in this - let me know if the above resolves the issue.

Thanks
Madjack
Dialogue Design
Kaeralyn

Postby Kaeralyn » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:48 am

Sadly, I got the same error even after applying that compatibility setting. Same error, same offset.

I'm beginning to think there might be something in my OS, maybe some kind of runtime thing got corrupted. I can only speculate right now, but I figure you'd know more of what TU needs in that respect.

I sure hope this doesn't need to be completely re-installed. I have about 50GB of Steam games to re-download if so. >.<
ADMIN
Site Admin

Postby ADMIN » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:29 pm

Kaeralyn

I sure hope this doesn't need to be completely re-installed. I have about 50GB of Steam games to re-download if so. >.<

erk! Hopefully we can resolve this before looking at a Windows re-install!

A few more questions;
Have you used Windows Journal to recognise text at some point recently?
There's reports that any of the more advanced tablet-pc features that once activated, cause a severe conflict with Blitz3D.

Using the task manager, are any of these processes running on your pc?
wisptis.exe - Microsoft Tablet PC Input Component
Pen_Tablet.exe - Tablet user module for consumer driver
InputPersonalization.exe - Input Personalization Server

Thanks
Madjack
Dialogue Design
Kaeralyn

Postby Kaeralyn » Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:04 pm

Hello again!

I uninstalled the tablet software to see if -that- would make a difference. None of those processes seem to be running, though I do recall there being a Pen_Tablet.exe running before I removed it. I also don't believe I have a 'Journal' on this system, since this is XP Pro, and I didn't consciously install anything by that name.

Sorry, this must be getting tiresome for you, but I'm certainly appreciative of your patience. :)

----
(EDIT)

WOOHOO! I've done it!

It seems to have been drivers throwing a wobbler. A chance look at my Device Manager revealed a few anomalies in my sound devices, namely devices that don't exist. I uninstalled them all one-by-one and removed my actual sound driver. Then I reinstalled the very latest version from my MoBo manufacturer's support page (it's an on-board Realtek HD) and located a just-released Catalyst driver set for my vid card. After a couple of restarts, I tried the game and it worked!

Thanks again for sticking with me. If only other game support forums were as willing to help. =)
--
Kaer!
ADMIN
Site Admin

Postby ADMIN » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:39 pm

Kaeralyn

Excellent! :lol:
I must admit, I was starting to scratch around for things to suggest next - it's always difficult trying to diagnose problems at a distance. The Blitz3d engine is usually pretty stable, but I guess it was defaulting to a non-existant sound driver and dying. Hopefully, this may reduce any other probs you've been experiencing?

Let me know if anything else crops up though and how you find the game in general.

Thanks
Madjack
Dialogue Design

Return to “Technical issues and bugs”