Game Freeze

Discuss bugs or technical issues relating to TU1 only.
ADMIN
Site Admin

Re: Game Freeze

Postby ADMIN » Tue May 20, 2008 10:30 am

Mithias

I've done a bit more tweaking with the supplied codec tweaking tool (that comes with K-Lite), but have been unable to stop the in-game freeze - apart from uninstalling K-Lite (luckily K-Lite seems to have an ok uninstall).

If I'm unsuccessful in resolving the freeze, I think I'm simply going to note it in the tech tips document as a 'known issue' and recommend either uninstalling the K-Lite pack or recommend another codec pack (Community Codec?). I noticed that the K-Lite pack stopped video playback in a couple of other games as well.

(Thanks for the heads-up on the Communty codec pack by the way)
'I only have one rule. Everyone codes, no-one quits. You don't finish your game, I'll shoot you myself.' http://www.tankuniversal.com
Mithias

Postby Mithias » Tue May 20, 2008 8:10 pm

Success!

Uninstalled K-lite and installed the CCCP (combined community codec pack) and worked first time. The CCCP seems to do everything that K-Lite can do so no loss there.

Link to the CCCP if you want to link to it:

http://www.cccp-project.net/

Thanks,

Mithias
phelan

Postby phelan » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:50 pm

I had this problem when using ffdshow, but when I chose to add TU as an exception to the ffdshow list, it played the videos fine enough.

The weird thing is that after the third video the game crashes with the Memory Access Violation error. I've seen other topics about that error, but it happened when starting up the game.
The suggested fix of turning off the glow effect didn't work.
I didn't think it would, since I played trough the entire game with it on and had no other problems.

I tried to open the videos in the game directory with bsplayer, and it gave an error while playing GARON_PROMONTORY.avi. I think it was using ffdshow to play them, though.

Could the file be corrupt?

Some info about my setup:
I got the game from Meridian4.
Graphic board: ATI Mobility Radeon X700

If you'd like more info, let me know.
I'm curious about what backstory I missed. :P

P.S. Since this is my first post, I'd just like to say I loved the game! I am a big fan of both tron and battlezone II, so this was right up my alley. :)
Since I don't think multiplayer is an option at the moment (I know how hard network programming is), the only thing I'd add to the game would be fortress skirmish modes, both with and without the network.
ADMIN
Site Admin

Postby ADMIN » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:23 am

Phelan

Sorry not to get back to you earlier - thanks for your info.

Regards the vid crash, the avi's are bog standard and really should be able to play on any pc, but I suspect this is where the massive number of vid players and codecs can cause playback probs. I also expect this is why many commercial games license software such as Bink to ensure reliable playback on all platforms.

Regards what you may have missed story wise, the guide relates how Telox is an adventurer who discovered some sort of mystery at the northern edge of the 'sector' - the sector being a massive slab of landscape floating in a void. Telox then convinced the Council to build the Revelation (as an exploration ship) and set off. Contact was lost with the Revelation and it was assumed lost, when it returned with Gorgon and his soldiers. The inference is that Telox has made a deal with Gorgon for power or some other advantage.

Glad you enjoyed the game!

Thanks
Madjack
Dialogue Design
'I only have one rule. Everyone codes, no-one quits. You don't finish your game, I'll shoot you myself.' http://www.tankuniversal.com
luk3

Postby luk3 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:51 am

could the file be corrupt?

Yeah corrupt file
"CORRUPTED VIDEO FILE: HEHEHEHEHEHEHAHAHAHAHAHAH
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA ---; CORRUPTED VIDEO FILE HAS DELETED SELF"
Hehe,
AS soon as i get my TU back

"CORRUPTED VIDEO FILE HAS DONE THIS ---; "

i will see if i get

"CORRUTED VIDEO FILE HAS BEEN WATCHING STICKMEN ON ***"