"Unable to create 3d scene" - support for 2560x1440?

Discuss bugs or technical issues relating to TU1 only.
opus

"Unable to create 3d scene" - support for 2560x1440?

Postby opus » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:32 pm

Hello. Really enjoy this game, play through it every year or so. However I can't get it to run on my newer monitor at its native resolution of 2560x1440. The launcher pops up but no matter what I do - safe mode, etc, it will always crash out with a window popping up saying "Unable to create 3d scene" and nothing else. Any and all other options works fine, including 1920x1440. For what it's worth the native resolution is listed on the launcher as "2560x144".

Is there any fix or workaround for this?
ADMIN
Site Admin

Re: "Unable to create 3d scene" - support for 2560x1440?

Postby ADMIN » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:38 am

Opus

Sorry to say this is a limitation of DirectX7 which has a max screen size of 2048x1536.
Only way I can think to get around this would be to port the entire TU codebase to the DX9 language I'm using now - something like a 'remaster'.
'I only have one rule. Everyone codes, no-one quits. You don't finish your game, I'll shoot you myself.' http://www.tankuniversal.com
opus

Postby opus » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:43 pm

ADMIN wrote:Opus

Sorry to say this is a limitation of DirectX7 which has a max screen size of 2048x1536.
Only way I can think to get around this would be to port the entire TU codebase to the DX9 language I'm using now - something like a 'remaster'.

Thanks for the quick response. Well, that sucks. At least it's still playable. Would really love to see a remaster eventually.

Also just for what it's worth, it never occurred to me to try a lower resolution until just before I posted this, so for quite a while I thought it was outright broken on this machine. I googled "Unable to create 3D scene" and didn't come up with much. Perhaps a note somewhere on Steam about its resolution limitation? Larger resolution monitors are only going to get more popular as time passes. Just a thought.
ADMIN
Site Admin

Postby ADMIN » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:54 pm

opus wrote:
ADMIN wrote:Would really love to see a remaster eventually..

Interestingly, my publisher - Meridian4 - has just gotten back in contact with me to have a chat about TU1.

Now the thing is, Steam's new refund policy has hit a number of publishers hard in that previously, they got a lot of sales from people 'taking a punt' and then just moving on.
Now those people are getting Steam refunds. I mean it's fair enough for the punters, although I suspect some people abuse the system as they always do.
I know I have a lot of games in my Steam catalogue that I bought on a punt and don't intend to complete.

Anyway, I went through Meridian4 back in 2008 because back then, you couldn't get on Steam without a publisher's backing.
Of course, that's all changed - so it's going to be an interesting conversation.

I'm actually interested in the idea of doing a TU1 'remaster' but my time is limited what with TU2 + Kickstarter+ the day job.
The other thing is a TU1 remaster would mean my publishers take a cut. So I'd have to wonder if it was worthwhile for me to do.

Anyway, I'll talk to them and let you know.
'I only have one rule. Everyone codes, no-one quits. You don't finish your game, I'll shoot you myself.' http://www.tankuniversal.com

Return to “Technical issues and bugs”