HERE'S SOME IDEAS I WOULD LIKE TO ADD TO TU2!!!

Discussion regarding the game + tips and hints.
Isotope

HERE'S SOME IDEAS I WOULD LIKE TO ADD TO TU2!!!

Postby Isotope » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:12 pm

MOSTLY TO:
Administrator

HERE'S SOME IDEAS I WOULD LIKE TO ADD TO TU2:
  • Your Guy can jump.
  • A LOT MORE TYPES OF TANKS & TURRETS.
  • Bombers that can also SHOOT.
  • MORE WEAPONS: TIME-BOMBS,TRIGGER-BOMBS,GUNS.
  • DIFFERENT ENEMY TEAMS.
  • ABLE TO MAKE NETWORK-NODE TURRETS.
  • ALSO ABLE TO CONTROL: TURRETS, BUILDINGS, LIFTERS & COMMAND YOUR MEN [WHEN YOU GET A HIGH ENOUGH RANK].
  • DEADLY WEAPONS FOR THE ENEMY (MAY HELP MAKE THE GAME BE MORE STRATEGIC ;) ).
  • BOSS LEVELS.
  • SECRET WEAPONS FOR YOU & THE ENEMY.
  • RESERCH LABS.
  • MORE LEVELS like level 10 on TU1.
  • Boats that can travel on E-LAVA.
  • you can have mobile-bombs (alpha-standards).
  • Helicopters.
  • ore (Resources) gives you money to buy other things.
  • special-Resources that give you other units.
  • ore-mine (refineing station) (mines ore).
  • Units (tanks,jets,boats,ect...) can buy/get jamming devices that make the unit into spread-out (team-color) particals on radar, advanced jamming devices make the unit invisible to radar.
  • SPY-LABS.
  • HQ (HEAD-QUARTERS).
  • GARAGE (PLACE TO PARK/STORE SOME UN-USED/DAMAGED TANKS AFTER THEY HAVE LANDED-FROM-THE-LIFTERS/OR WERE DAMAGED-IN-BATTLE).
  • CAN GO-INTO-AND-USE OTHER TANKS IN-THE-GARAGE IF THEY ARE NOT MOVING.
AND HERE IS ONE OF MY BIGGEST :idea:S:
=========================================================
TO GET FLAME-THROWER & OTHER GOOD WEAPONS (THAT THE ENEMY'S HAVE) FOLLOW THESE STEPS (PS !!!TRY!!! TO DO THESE STEPS WITH OUT DYING!!!)
USE A DATA-DISC TO COPY THE PLANS FROM THE ENEMY'S COMPUTER
{NOT TO TAKE & DELETE THE PLANS}.

2.GOTO/INTO THE ENEMY'S BASE.

3.FIND THE NEW-WEAPONS LAB.

4.GO INTO THE LAB AND FIND THE COMPUTER.

5.INSERT THE DATA-DISC INTO THE ENEMY'S COMPUTER AND WAIT FOR INFO (WEAPON PLANS) TO LOAD ON-TO-DATA-DISC ACCESS CODE SHOWS-UP (MAY NEED TO WRITE CODE DOWN ON PAPER).

6.RETERN TO YOUR [HQ] (SAFELY) (WITHOUT GETTING KILLED) {IF KILLED, DATA-DISC WILL BE DESTROYED AND YOU WILL HAVE TO START-ALL-OVER FROM STEP-1}.

7.INSERT THE DATA-DISC INTO THE YOUR COMPUTER.

8.TYPE THE ACCESS-CODE (FOUND ON THE ENEMY'S COMPUTER SCREEN WHEN DATA-DISC IS INSERTED MAY NEED TO WRITE CODE DOWN ON PAPER PS CODE CHANGES EVERY LEVEL AND EVERY TIME YOU DIE!!!) INTO YOUR COMPUTER AND PRESS ACTIVATE.

9.YOU NOW WILL SEE A !NEW! ITEM IN THE UPGRADE STORE IF YOU HAVE GOT ENOUGH UPGRADE POINTS YOU MAY BUY IT AND USE IT!! {AND NEW TYPES OF TANKS WILL BE CREATED TO USE THAT ITEM PS: THEY (your frendly tanks, jets, ect...) WILL USE IT BEFORE AND AFTER YOU BUY IT }.

=========================================================

* THE ENEMY(S) CAN DO/HAVE MOST OF THE THINGS ABOVE *

HERE'S AN IDEA OF WHAT THE FLAME-THROWER UPGRADE SHOULD LOOK LIKE(I MADE BOTH OF THESE PICTURES IN G.I.M.P.):

FLAME THROWER UPGRADE PART 1.png
FLAME THROWER UPGRADE PART 1.png (229.78 KiB) Viewed 7563 times

FLAME THROWER UPGRADE PART 2 - Copy.jpg
I WOULD LOVE FOR THE FILE TO BE PNG; BUT IT'S A LARGE FILE-SIZE
FLAME THROWER UPGRADE PART 2 - Copy.jpg (253.55 KiB) Viewed 7563 times

:D MY ALL-TIME FAVORITE GAME :!: :!: :!:
I WILL NOT GET THE DEMO OF TU2; INSTEAD, I WILL BUY IT RIGHT-AWAY :D

PS:I ALSO LIKE YOUR TREFOIL:
upload_bar[1].gif
upload_bar[1].gif (14.13 KiB) Viewed 7563 times
AND I TOOK A GUESS THAT YOU HAVE G.I.M.P. FROM SOME OF TU1'S PICTURE FILES.
GRA╕IC-DESIGNER
Scribble[SFD]

Re: HERE'S SOME IDEAS I WOULD LIKE TO ADD TO TU2!!!

Postby Scribble[SFD] » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:18 am

Some nice ideas, but it would take a very large development team to program and implement all those features. The Adminstrator, aka Madjack, is the ONLY person working on the game. As is already, he has to do all the work which takes a lot of time, especially since he is only able to do it part-time. Sadly, this is also why it will still probably take quite some time before we see TU2 out even without lots of extra features or ideas implemented.
ADMIN
Site Admin

Postby ADMIN » Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:12 pm

Isotope

Thanks for the post - there's a lot of interesting ideas in there.

Let me see;
1 Your Guy can jump.
There'll only be one walking section in TU2 and jumping won't be needed. Also this is George we're talking about - why would he want to jump about?

2 A LOT MORE TYPES OF TANKS & TURRETS.
As Scribble points out, this is a one-man job so I can't promise massive amounts of unit types. At present it'll probably be what you've already seen in TU1 but refined and with a few extra types.

3 Bombers that can also SHOOT.
I'm a little wary in that I like to give the player the option to avoid incoming fire. Taking fire from on high may be a bit frustrating in that the player may not be able to find cover and may not have rockets to retaliate. Bombers are more my style where you hear the clink of the bomb and at least have a chance.

4 MORE WEAPONS: TIME-BOMBS,TRIGGER-BOMBS,GUNS.
See 2

5 DIFFERENT ENEMY TEAMS.
Sorry - red, blue will be the main teams. A bit of viral too (purple).

6 ABLE TO MAKE NETWORK-NODE TURRETS.
I am looking at the ability to take over turrets including network-node turrets.

7 ALSO ABLE TO CONTROL: TURRETS, BUILDINGS, LIFTERS & COMMAND YOUR MEN [WHEN YOU GET A HIGH ENOUGH RANK].
See 6. Regards 'command your men', I'm looking at including a strategic overview map where the player can move forces before choosing a battle to fight 'on the ground' - Total War style. I may include some sort of wingmen option for on the ground play, but haven't implemented this yet. I want to keep it simple on the ground.

8 DEADLY WEAPONS FOR THE ENEMY (MAY HELP MAKE THE GAME BE MORE STRATEGIC ;) ).
Heavy tanks may be beefed up. Approaching them without extra bolt-on armour may be suicide now.

9 BOSS LEVELS.
May make Telox's ship the Revelation much more deadly and act as a boss. Also looking at 'capital ship' tanks as some sort of boss - don't know if I'll have the time to do this concept properly.

10 SECRET WEAPONS FOR YOU & THE ENEMY.
?
11 RESERCH LABS.
More interested in player discovering 'bonuses' after an area has been won. Like hidden treasure.

12 MORE LEVELS like level 10 on TU1.
There will be more fortress levels etc

13 Boats that can travel on E-LAVA.
Think this is call 'feature creep' ;-) Land and air only.

14 you can have mobile-bombs (alpha-standards).
You mean blue team has mobile bombs? Interesting idea.

15 Helicopters.
Lifters do the same thing surely?

16 ore (Resources) gives you money to buy other things.
On the strategic map the player will have action points which are replenished after each turn to a level increased by winning battles. no plans for other forms of currency here.

17 special-Resources that give you other units.
See 11

18 ore-mine (refineing station) (mines ore).
See 11

19 Units (tanks,jets,boats,ect...) can buy/get jamming devices that make the unit into spread-out (team-color) particals on radar, advanced jamming devices make the unit invisible to radar.
Am considering including a 'fake id' power up which swaps the player's id to red team for a period of time. Possibly for stealth missions. However this has repercussions in that you may expect the player to then be able to enter red team fortresses using this. If a player could do that and then turn back to blue team within the enemy fortress, they could take the red team key (from the hub) straight away and make a getaway as the entrance forcefield would be down. Sounds great but would undercut the need for sappers and I like sappers. Perhaps the solution is to still give the player the option of going undercover but make it a gauntlet of fire if they change back to blue within the enemy fortress...

20 SPY-LABS.
?

21 HQ (HEAD-QUARTERS).
Your fortress is effectively your HQ? Also, strategic map.

22 GARAGE (PLACE TO PARK/STORE SOME UN-USED/DAMAGED TANKS AFTER THEY HAVE LANDED-FROM-THE-LIFTERS/OR WERE DAMAGED-IN-BATTLE).
Tanks don't normally get 'damaged', they're either destroyed or regen shields during battles.

23 CAN GO-INTO-AND-USE OTHER TANKS IN-THE-GARAGE IF THEY ARE NOT MOVING.
Am considering giving fortresses login nodes where the player can swap command to other tank types that are present on the battlefield - light/medium/heavy. So if a gaggle of enemy heavy tanks is a problem, go to a login node on your fortress wall, game pauses, a minimap of your forces appears, choose a heavy tank within range, resume.

Regards flamethrowers, I'll keep that in mind, although given this is a digital world it'd need to be something 'digital' - some sort of 'disruptor tank'? There's already smokebombs which I'll probably set up a new tank type for, so that might be a 'disruptor tank' - but a 'flamethrower' could be a similar thing. Thanks for the pix - we'll see what happens.
'I only have one rule. Everyone codes, no-one quits. You don't finish your game, I'll shoot you myself.' http://www.tankuniversal.com
Scribble[SFD]

Postby Scribble[SFD] » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:39 am

ADMIN wrote:Am considering including a 'fake id' power up which swaps the player's id to red team for a period of time. Possibly for stealth missions.

Oh, god, please no stealth missions! I know there was a huge trend a couple of years back where almost every game was adding or thinking they had to add a stealth mission to their game. Even if it was a run-and-gun FPS, devs squeezed in a stealth mission. This is one of the most annoying gameplay switches I have ever come across in video games. Thankfully this trend has died off a lot, since I think a majority of at least FPS and action players don't like stealth missions.

Don't get me wrong, a game where stealth is the key *through-out* the game is fine and its own genre. However, if a gamer buys an FPS action game, chances are they want to have action in their game.

Now, when a game that is not a stealth game has a stealth mission in it, but allows the player to still succeed in the mission by just going in guns blazing, then that is fine as well. However, if a game forces you to do a stealth mission when you bought the game for its run-and-gun fun, then I believe that is actually that term that devs throw around lately, known as "punishing the player".

That's my 2 cents.
ADMIN
Site Admin

Postby ADMIN » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:38 pm

Oh, god, please no stealth missions!

Heh - fair enough - I know what you mean.

I was thinking that on the strat map, as every successful battle yields action points, it might be good to allow the player the option to select an area behind the front lines and to attempt to place a 'listening station'. The player would then be given a light tank and need to get from A->B (B being a mountaintop). Successfully deploying the listening station would yield bonus info on the strat map + extra action points. It would not be 'get detected, game over', but a light tank would not be able to take much punishment so the ability to 'swap sides' would be very helpful at points.

The above would be voluntary for the player in that they could choose not to play these missions on the strat map, so I think the above might work. However it needs more thought because getting from A->B for a single reward could be tedious.

What I have been thinking is that another powerup might be useful. If the player can use a login node (attached to fortresses etc) to swap tanks, I'm pretty sure the response will be 'why do I have to go all the way back to a login node to swap tanks? Why can't I just look at a friendly tank and hit E to swap?'. So if the player buys the ability to do that, then in the stealth missions, the player might be able to get through enemy defences using 'fake id' but it'd be dangerous - or they could spot strategically placed dormant friendly tanks to teleport to. Perhaps even a bit of Sentinel like play when they're getting up the mountain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sentin ... eo_game%29
'I only have one rule. Everyone codes, no-one quits. You don't finish your game, I'll shoot you myself.' http://www.tankuniversal.com
Scribble[SFD]

Postby Scribble[SFD] » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:08 am

ADMIN wrote:It would not be 'get detected, game over', but a light tank would not be able to take much punishment so the ability to 'swap sides' would be very helpful at points.

Yes, as I said, as long as it isn't "get detected, game over" and there is the option to still fight your way through the level if a player so wishes, that is fine. All gamers are different. All the great game devs make a game where it can cater to a variety of different play style, each with an equal level of satisfaction. However, this is difficult to do and very time consuming. Having proper focus in a game is also important as not trying to do everything and be every game or genre.

And that is why there is indeed genre, because it would be far too time consuming to make a game with every play-style. If a gamer likes stealth games, they should just go out and buy one of the many stealth games. Since stealth and pure action games are almost exact opposites, neither gamer is likely to like major elements of the opposing genre in their game.

ADMIN wrote:What I have been thinking is that another powerup might be useful. If the player can use a login node (attached to fortresses etc) to swap tanks, I'm pretty sure the response will be 'why do I have to go all the way back to a login node to swap tanks? Why can't I just look at a friendly tank and hit E to swap?'.

Personallly, I am happy with just being able to play even only one type of tank, with the ability to upgrade like in TU1. This goes beyond the "I like the simple style" to I also worry about your workload and thus time. I would like to play TU2 before I die. :lol:
Phantaminium

Postby Phantaminium » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:21 pm

ADMIN wrote:What I have been thinking is that another powerup might be useful. If the player can use a login node (attached to fortresses etc) to swap tanks, I'm pretty sure the response will be 'why do I have to go all the way back to a login node to swap tanks? Why can't I just look at a friendly tank and hit E to swap?'.

I've just realized that if you do that, you'll be leaving your tank unmanned and vulnerable to enemy fire / leaving all your power shards and upgrades for a downgrade of a tank(given that you have useful upgrades and more power shards then the tank you took control of). speaking of which... If what I just explained happens in the game, can you add something to the original tank, that you started the level in, to show that it is the one with the stuff you left behind? or is it gonna be that every upgrade / power shard you get transfers to the other tank as well?
I can't really see a skirmisher shooting rockets :|

I'm a ScatmanImage
Isotope

Postby Isotope » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:41 am

I'm Sorry :( that there aren't many people working on the game. To HELP speed-up game development I would :!: LOVE :!: to help. Is there anything I can do. I use GIMP to make graphic designs and I would love to make something for TU2. I LOVE THIS GAME SOOO-MUCH I would SERIOUSLY work for free if you could just add my name to the credits where credit is due.

I'M currently using the trial-version of AC3D to make 3D-MODELS, I COULD STILL MAKE YOU A FEW MODELS (if you tell me the correct file-type that you need) I also don't know ANY COMPUTER-PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES other then a little bit of XML (from editing L.A.S.W. :arrow: http://www.isotope244.com/land-air-sea-warfare.html). I'd LOVE to learn B.A.S.I.C., so that I can use BLITZ3D. I ALSO KNOW A WEBSITE THAT WILL MAKE T-SHIRTS, IF YOU GIVE ME A PICTURE/OR I MAKE A DESIGN, I COULD GET T-SHIRTS MADE FOR TANK UNIVERSAL 2 (if you like or agree to the idea).

I wrote:
  • Units (tanks,jets,boats,ect...) can buy/get jamming devices that make the unit into spread-out (team-color) particals on radar, advanced jamming devices make the unit invisible to radar.
ADMIN wrote:Am considering including a 'fake id' power up which swaps the player's id to red team for a period of time. Possibly for stealth missions.

I LOVE what scribble said about your idea for fake-id & stealth missions.
AND, That wasn't what I was saying about
I wrote:•Units (tanks,jets,boats,ect...)
I when I said Units I meant ENEMY UNITS.

I was also thinking that you should make GORGON'S Cousin (for his side-kick)
and name him GORGONZOLA :) (FACT:gorgonzola is the italian type of blue-cheese)

It would be neat to put these music-tracks into the game:
http://www.arteriamusic.com/player-home.htm?creatures.mp3
http://www.arteriamusic.com/player-home.htm?letsgetoutofhere.mp3
http://www.arteriamusic.com/player-home.htm?locked_doors.mp3
http://www.arteriamusic.com/player-home.htm?area9.mp3
I HOPE YOU LIKE THEM!!!

THANKS FOR COMMENTING, <<<<<ISOTOPE>>>>>
GRA╕IC-DESIGNER
ADMIN
Site Admin

Postby ADMIN » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:48 am

Ph
you'll be leaving your tank unmanned and vulnerable to enemy fire

Your 'old' tank would then be controlled normally by the AI.

or is it gonna be that every upgrade / power shard you get transfers to the other tank as well?

I expect you'd take your powerups/energy shards with you, but there'd have to be trade-offs. I guess the trick will be to avoid having the player feel they're being unecessarily nerfed when they transfer but at the same time balance it so that the player doesn't automatically go for a heavy tank everytime - specific tanks for the situation.

Light tanks couldn't fire rockets as you mentioned or mount mini turrets (I'm thinking bolt-on mini turrets on your tank - front/back - would be a powerup), but they'd be fast.

Medium would be the all-round solution with all powerups and bolt-on armour available and reasonable speed. I'm also thinking that armour fragments can be reliably knocked off enemy tanks via charged shots, which are only available with the medium tank.

The heavy tank is for nearby, defensive battles. No charge shots so much less chance of knocking armour fragments of enemy tanks, although the heavy tank can still collect additional armour. Slow, so not good for getting from A-B, but powerful damage.

So to reiterate, I expect you'd be able to take all your powerups/energy shards with you, but you'd lose your armour which would stay with your old tank. I think this would make sense and hopefully not frustrate the player too much?
ADMIN
Site Admin

Postby ADMIN » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:57 am

Isotope

Woah boy! Calm down there:D

I tell you what, I may have need of a Smokebomb Tank. I don't have much of an idea of what it would look like but probably rather squat, chunky (not fast moving) and covered in round storage tanks/vats. If you're keen to design something, that would be the one but whatever you come up with, I hope you understand I can't guarantee it'll be used and if it is used, I'll mention you in the credits.

Format wise, I can handle most formats so don't worry about that.

Regards the music tracks, I'll check them out given the music in TU1 came from Arteria.

Return to “Game discussion”