Re-Mastering in a new engine...

Discussion around remastering of the first Tank Universal game, including updating the engine to DX11 and remastering 3d assets.
Max Powerz

Re-Mastering in a new engine...

Postby Max Powerz » Wed May 11, 2016 4:23 pm

What engine are you planning on using?
The same as TU2 or something else??

If your planning on using a newer more common engine can i suggest Unreal 4.
The Visual Scripting language (Blueprints) is easy to learn and easy to use to find faults in code.
It does have a higher system requirement, but if you plan on updating the game then updating it to use a more powerful engine that takes advantage of the features of higher end pc's is acceptable in my opinion.
reip6

Re: Re-Mastering in a new engine...

Postby reip6 » Thu May 12, 2016 12:02 am

Unreal engine 4 is good.But for me unity 5 is better because it is easier to use.Unreal engine 4 has better shaders and all graphic than unity 5 but it has bad gui.Unity 5 has better and customizable gui,and build in programing.And I agree with Max Powerz that it would be great that game use advantage of the features of higher end pc's.
Phantaminium

Postby Phantaminium » Thu May 12, 2016 1:14 am

If that's the case he might as well switch tu2's engine to either one of those. I think a lot of people would find it weird that TU2 will be in one engine while TU1 Remaster will be in another.

I'm a ScatmanImage
reip6

Postby reip6 » Thu May 12, 2016 1:42 am

On the other hand, I think this would not be so good idea.some people do not have so good pc's (I was one of that people until I havent bought new laptop).So when changing the game engine it will efect their game perfomamce, because game would have better visual, lights ....
Also I like current stile of game wich new game engine would change.It would be only nice that TU1 has direcx 9 , and not 7
Admiral Z

Postby Admiral Z » Thu May 12, 2016 8:58 am

I am VERY excited for a TU1 remaster, but I do have some of the same concerns as the others. Hopefully the feel of the game and it's mechanics won't change, and there will still be plenty of options to reduce graphical settings?
Admiral Z has spoken. So let it be written, So let it be done.
ADMIN
Site Admin

Postby ADMIN » Thu May 12, 2016 10:37 am

Couple of things to consider here.

First, my time is very limited and TU2 dev has to remain the main focus.
Other aspect is that TU1 is published in partnership with Meridian4, and they'd take a good chunk out of any sales generated by the update.
So the amount of effort needs to reflect that fact.

Would not want to be converting the TU1 codebase (which is large) to another language - that would be a big job.
However need to migrate TU1 from DX7. DX7 has resolution limitations, etc...

Couple of options to achieve this.

1, convert to Nuclear Basic.
Advantages: language very similar to Blitz3d, DX9, faster than Blitz3d.
I also know NB inside-out at this point.
Disadvantages: NB lacks nicer features like shadows.

2, keep in Blitz3d and use an engine being developed by another user.
Advantages: has a lot of nice fx as standard, less conversion work likely needed.
Disadvantages: some questions regards engine stability across different PC configs.
'I only have one rule. Everyone codes, no-one quits. You don't finish your game, I'll shoot you myself.' http://www.tankuniversal.com
Galactron

Postby Galactron » Fri May 13, 2016 10:53 am

Will Tank Universal 2 be available for mac as well as windows during the re-master?
ADMIN
Site Admin

Postby ADMIN » Fri May 13, 2016 2:35 pm

Galactron wrote:Will Tank Universal 2 be available for mac as well as windows during the re-master?

PC only.
'I only have one rule. Everyone codes, no-one quits. You don't finish your game, I'll shoot you myself.' http://www.tankuniversal.com
bondsc

Postby bondsc » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:29 pm

I loved the original TU1 and the fact that it was coded by a single person was one of the reasons I was drawn to this forum in the first place as it's very impressive for a one man project.
If you write a remastered version I'd definitely buy it.
I'd stick with NB as I think you've achieved a lot with it and I'm more than happy with the graphics and it seems stable across all PCs I've tried it on.
But if you make less money from anything TU1 related then maybe you should just focus on finishing TU2 and then releasing add-on packs for TU2 (e.g. extra missions). Add-on packs are much easier to write and as long as you add enough content then they are still worth the money. Must be more fun for you as well? - focussing on level content and missions instead of slaving away with getting the engine working. Perhaps an add-on pack which is more similar in style and gameplay to TU1 without actually calling it TU1? ;)

Simon

Return to “TU1 remaster”