TU2 pricing?

ADMIN
Site Admin

TU2 pricing?

Postby ADMIN » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:07 pm

I'm starting the Steam release process and of course, the question of price comes up.

Now some early access titles go for a higher price, possibly relying on the existing community being invested enough to pay more regardless.

Myself though, I'm thinking TU2 may go for $11.99 - 12.99.
That's low enough for non-TU2 people to give it a punt.
What do you guys think?
'I only have one rule. Everyone codes, no-one quits. You don't finish your game, I'll shoot you myself.' http://www.tankuniversal.com
Admiral Z

Re: TU2 pricing?

Postby Admiral Z » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:29 pm

Are we talking USD or NZD?
Admiral Z has spoken. So let it be written, So let it be done.
ADMIN
Site Admin

Postby ADMIN » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:32 pm

USD.
'I only have one rule. Everyone codes, no-one quits. You don't finish your game, I'll shoot you myself.' http://www.tankuniversal.com
Admiral Z

Postby Admiral Z » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:32 am

That seems good. Personally I would like $9.99 or $10.00 just because I like round even numbers, but that's not thinking profitably. I wouldn't turn down a good game just because it's $2 more than $10, so might as well squeeze the extra few dollars in.
ADMIN
Site Admin

Postby ADMIN » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:39 pm

And Steam takes about 30% as their slice.

The good news is you don't need to go through a publisher to get onto Steam anymore.
This was the problem with TU1.
Back in 2008 you needed a publisher on-side before Valve would even consider your title for publication.

So I signed up with Canadian publisher Meridian4.
And they've been great and they opened other markets (Russia being one where the game is sold as 'CyberTank').
However, their slice was half of what was left after Steam's cut, meaning I was making about 1/3 of the sales price.
And Steam has been the largest venue for copies sold.

So hindsight is great, but if I'd known Steam was going to open the floodgates to indies the way they did, I probably would have held onto TU1 for another year or two and self-published :)
Admiral Z

Postby Admiral Z » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:59 pm

Oh really? That really sucks, but it makes sense now. I had always wondered why you went through an external publisher...
(PS: The next report is going to be a big one, over sixty notes, prepare yourself. :P )
bondsc

Postby bondsc » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:43 am

Yes I think that price is fine.
I've not compared the price with other similar titles on Steam, so it's a gut feeling and nothing more, but I'd certainly buy the game at that price.

Simon
Isotope

Postby Isotope » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:15 pm

Hello Everyone!!,

It's been a while since my last post, but I've still been watching every now and then. ;)
My brother and I are exited about the release of TU2, as for the price, we were planning on paying $20.00, we'd even pay up to $60.00 like a Ps4 game.
So the price that you're displaying is not unreasonable, especially since we've been waiting a long time for this and we appreciate all the work you put into making it.

(I started playing TU1 at around 12 and now I'm 19 and still am looking forward to replaying it again).

Once a TU fan, always a TU fan,
-Steve
GRA╕IC-DESIGNER
ADMIN
Site Admin

Postby ADMIN » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:16 pm

Welcome back Isotope and thank you (and your brother) for your encouragement!

$60.00 like a Ps4 game.

You mean like another $60 PS4 game that's come out recently and who's title starts with 'No' and ends with 'Sky'? :D
Isotope

Postby Isotope » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:34 am

How did you know that was the very game my brother was playing when I read your reply. :o
My brothers and I were the first ones to pick it up at the BestBuy in our area, we love discovering the peculiar looking plants and creatures. :D
GRA╕IC-DESIGNER

Return to “Latest TU2 demo build and general news”