Dev update:16th July 2010

Update and tech notes from the developer
Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:24 pm

• For the most part(not including the story,its just what I see in both sides), TU can be a lot like Half-Life 2. The enemy(the Combine and Gorgon) has technology at their disposal, while the friendlys (the Rebels for both games) have a much lower technological advantage.
    Blue team uses structures more like a conduit. As blue team are the underdogs, I figure they'll have less conspicuous structures.
    In HL2, the rebels build what they need out of scraps, partially from the comine's wreckage, from what I've seen in the game.
    If you don't mind, I'm going to help find a new model for the rebel's power line.Ill post a picture of what I've done when I'm finished,tell me what you think. TO THE GARRY'S MOD MOBILE :twisted:

<edit> I am done, take a look. When i made the rebel line, I used no more or less props,they both have exactly the same amount/props
    gm_flatgrass0002.jpg
    The red thing is the Gorgon Power line while the blue thing is the Rebel's Power line. if you think about it, gorgon's line looks like something you can club someone to death while the rebel's looks like a shield. see it?
    gm_flatgrass0002.jpg (100.65 KiB) Viewed 2959 times

Another matter I was curious about
    I've added a certain overarching strategy for each level, but I'm thinking that the combat needs a bit more 'granularity'.

To this end, each tank will typically have three shield sectors - left/right/rear.
    To kill a tank, one or more of those sectors will need to be reduced to zero.

so what your saying is, the left/right/rear will have individual shields and once the shield is gone, you're/its vulnerable, otherwise it will survive every hit you through at it?
    When hit, an enemy tank may drop collectable armour parts that can be picked up and equipped by the player or another AI tank.

do the collectable armour parts repair the hull/shields? or make a side of the tank tougher?

<edit#2> Admin, i forgot to ask you this, instead of the saves saving between levels, can you make it able to save during the level? so when you die you go to that spot with the shards and etc. you had before you died?(its a pain when you own, die, and get owned)

I'm a ScatmanImage
    Phantaminium

Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:59 am

• Phantaminium

Iis it possible to get a 3d copy of your blue team powerline design in some format? I quite like it.

I've redesigned the blue team powerstation and think it might work quite well.
    You can see the blue team powerline in the image below, and it's not that interesting a design.

(If you're ok with it, I'll include your design in the game and list you in the credits.)
    'I only have one rule. Everyone codes, no-one quits. You don't finish your game, I'll shoot you myself.' http://www.tankuniversal.com
    ADMIN
    Site Admin

Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:11 am

• Screenshot picture looks impressive as always. I enjoy each picture you post and can't wait until TU2 is done!
    Scribble[SFD]

Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:08 pm

• THIS REPLY IS CENSORED BY AUTHOR - think of every surprised sentence that has a swear in it, i think it makes the person sound more surprised... AS SOON AS I GET HOME FROM SCHOOL ILL GET PICS AND VIDEO OF IT....sad thing is i didn't save it ^_^, ill use my pic and remember how many degrees i put them at.and yes, it is ok, i mean, who wouldn't want their name in credits of a game they like? it just makes it better
    ImageImageImageImage
    <edit>Admin, can you post a picture of the gorgon power line with a player model standing next to it? I'd like to get the height correctly proportioned with a player model.

for those of you who want Image
    type in a reply

remember to put img and /img inside of [ ]

thanks for liking it :D

I'm a ScatmanImage
    Phantaminium

Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:16 pm

• Phantaminium

<edit>Admin, can you post a picture of the gorgon power line with a player model standing next to it? I'd like to get the height correctly proportioned with a player model.

Don't worry about scale - I'll scale the final model appropriately - I really just need the shape - even a plan(front) view is fine as I can then trace and extrude. However if you don't have that handy, I think I can extract the profile from the image you have posted.
    'I only have one rule. Everyone codes, no-one quits. You don't finish your game, I'll shoot you myself.' http://www.tankuniversal.com
    ADMIN
    Site Admin

Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:31 pm

• great news! I've recreated it and i have a bunch of pictures to give you, and if you have Garry's Mod, get the addon Advance Duplicator and I'll give you a dup of it =D i feel so happy...o wait, i could use my scroll-la to show it

ImageImageImage
    ImageImageImage
    ImageImageImage

<edit> how do you want me to get the others to you?
    Attachments
    gm_flatgrass0004.jpg
    here it is
    gm_flatgrass0004.jpg (145.09 KiB) Viewed 2934 times

I'm a ScatmanImage
    Phantaminium

Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:33 pm

• PH

That one pic's fine - I can trace from that.

Thanks for that, I'll see what I can do.
    ADMIN
    Site Admin

Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:26 am

• ok =D
    Last edited by Phantaminium on Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I'm a ScatmanImage
    Phantaminium

Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:57 am

• Ok - here's the result.

Works quite well I think - technological and functional in appearance but also abstract - certainly more interesting than the previous blue team powerline.

ADMIN
    Site Admin

Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:41 pm

• Admin

since you liked my design on the power line, do you think i can maybe help design some other things? I'm happy with just making the power line, but I'd like to do much more if it's ok / possible :)

I'm a ScatmanImage
    Phantaminium

PreviousNext

Return to Developer notes

Information